The WRPHTC invites all public, nonprofit and private health organizations and agencies in Region 9 (Arizona, California, Nevada, Hawai'i, and the U.S. Affiliated Pacific Island) to submit project opportunities for our students. The opportunity submitted will be available to all students in Region 9 and advertised on the WRPHTC website. As specified in the previous section, projects must meet the following conditions:
- Must meet the requirements for the Council on Education for Public Health Applied Practice Experience.
- Must entail 200+ hours of field work related to public health, to be complete over a minimum duration of 8 weeks.
- Must be completed within one year of the anticipated start date. It is preferable that the majority of project work (such as data collection or program implementation) be completed within one semester, in order to give time for any data analysis and report writing to be completed during the second semester.
- Must be based in HRSA Region 9, which includes Arizona, California, Nevada, Hawaii, or the U.S.-Affiliated Pacific Islands.
- Must be conducted at public or nonprofit health agencies or other public health organizations, including hospitals, community-based, health care facilities, and non-traditional health care settings including non-profit organizations.
Students will need to select or arrange projects themselves by contacting the agency that they are interested in working with directly or selecting a project from their school database. Agencies should identify an individual that will act as a supervisor (preceptor or mentor), who is qualified to assess the student’s project, guide them through their project, and evaluate their progress. These individuals can determine whether the student is an appropriate match for the agency and proposed project.
Students will be able to apply for a project stipend from the WRPHTC to help support their living expenses during their project. Stipends are awarded directly to students and are not meant to cover the cost of any project-related expenses. The student will be notified of the decision and proceed with the required documentation.
Agencies interested in submitting project opportunities for students in Region 9, can submit their proposed project here.