NNPHI, in collaboration with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and The Culinary Institute of America, is pleased to announce the release of a new video series titled, “Reducing Sodium with the World’s Premier Culinary College: Training Videos for Food Service Professionals.” Featuring chefs from The Culinary Institute of America, this series of four instructional videos highlights simple culinary strategies and techniques to reduce sodium in food service settings. You can access them for free here: www.nnphi.org/sodium
Whether you are a food service provider managing an operation, food service staff responsible for preparing delicious and healthy foods, or a public health professional working with food service providers to improve the nutritional value of foods, these engaging, brief and free videos provide valuable techniques and recipes that will enhance flavor without the sodium.
- Salad Dressings: Reducing Sodium with the World’s Premier Culinary College
- Chefs from The Culinary Institute of America demonstrate how to make a low-sodium vinaigrette from scratch and how to reduce sodium in ready-to-use/commercially available dressings by incorporating fresh ingredients.
- Flavor Building Techniques: Reducing Sodium with the World’s Premier Culinary College
- Chefs from The Culinary Institute of America demonstrate cooking and seasoning techniques that enhance the flavor of dishes while reducing the sodium content per serving.
- Tomato Sauces: Reducing Sodium with the World’s Premier Culinary College
- Chefs from The Culinary Institute of America prepare reduced sodium versions of tomato-based sauces using different ingredients and methodologies.
- Ready to Use Products: Reducing Sodium with the World’s Premier Culinary College
- Chefs from The Culinary Institute of America identify the sodium content of common processed, premade and packaged products (Ready to Use foods) and demonstrate methods to decrease sodium in recipes with Ready to Use foods
- Partnering with Food Service to Reduce Sodium: A Toolkit for Public Health Practitioners
- The toolkit highlights a list of strategies, case studies, tools, and resources for building new and/or enhancing existing partnerships with food service providers to reduce sodium in foods prepared, served, and sold. It aims to help public health practitioners understand the context of food service settings as well as the language and drivers of food service providers to support effective partnerships. Case studies and success stories provide examples of stories from the field, aiming to inspire and generate ideas for implementation – and, tools and resources impart the experience and learnings of previous sodium reduction efforts.