UC Berkeley's School of Public Health and its Center of Excellence in Maternal, Child, and Adolescent health are now offering a self-directed, open-source, free online training module series on the life course perspective & leadership. The 5-module series features video interviews, readings, case studies of organizations in practice, and more!
Each module includes an interview with a subject matter expert, available readings, case studies of organizations in practice, and opportunities for reflection. The series covers the following topics:
- Overview Life Course Perspective – Featuring Dr. Michael Lu, MD, MS, MPH, the former Director of the Maternal and Child Health Bureau for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services from 2012 to 2017.
- Health Equity & Social Determinants of Health – Featuring Dr. Paula Braveman, MPH, MD, Director of the Center on Social Disparities in Health at the University of California, San Francisco.
- Timing of Exposures and Cumulative Impacts of Risk and Protective Factors across the Lifespan: Opportunities for Intervention – Featuring Kiko Malin, MSW/MPH is the Director of the Family Health Services Division at the Alameda County Public Health Department.
- Place Matters: The Impacts of Physical, Social, and Economic Environments on MCAH Outcomes – Featuring Dr. Anthony Iton, MD, JD, MPH Senior Vice President for Healthy Communities at The California Endowment
- Moving Towards Health Equity – Integrating a Life Course Perspective in MCAH Practice-Featuring Dr. Vijaya Hogan, MPH, DrPH, perinatal epidemiologist and Program Officer for the W.K. Kellogg Foundation.
And moderated by:
- Julianna Deardorff, PhD, an Associate Professor and the Director of the Center of Excellence in MCAH at UC Berkeley’s School of Public Health
Highlighted Organizations-- Contra Costa Life Course Initiative, MIHOW Program, Family Voices of CA, Homeless Prenatal Program, SF Black Infant Health, City MatCH Equity Institute, San Mateo Medical Center and First 5 San Mateo, Nurse Family Partnership, Health Start in Housing, CA Adolescent Health Collaborative, Best Babies Zone Southeast Portland and Castlemont Oakland, Solano HEALS, Building Blocks Collaborative, Pre-Term Birth Initiative Fresno, & Healthy Start Border Alliance.